History

City of Bandon, Oregon

Excerpt from Western World's Dec. 16, 1915, edition: HOW TO GET TO BANDON

Bandon, Ore., is still not the easiest place on the planet to get to, but it used to be much more difficult.

"There are three ways of getting to Bandon:

"Take the steamer Elizabeth from San Francisco; fare $10.

" Take either the Alliance or the Breakwater from Portland to Marshfield (now Coos Bay), then take a train to Coquille at 9 o'clock connecting with the Coquille River boat, landing you at noon the same day in Bandon; combined fare, not counting lodgings, is approximately $12.

"Over stage from Roseburg, Oregon, to Myrtle Point, from which place you take the river boat to Bandon as before; fare being $5 for stage and $1 boat.

"We recommend boat clear through, in the winter time at least. It is quicker and pleasanter for those not afflicted with seasickness."

Timeline provided by the Bandon Historical Museum...

  • pre-1850 Area inhabited by the Coquille (Ko-quell Indian Tribe)
  • 1851 Gold discovered at nearby Whiskey Run Beach by French Trappers.
  • 1852 Henry Baldwin, from Cork County, Ireland, was shipwrecked on the Coos Bay Bar and walked into this area.
  • 1853 First settlers established present town site.
  • 1856 Native resistance to white settlement is defeated and Indians go to Siletz Reservation.
  • 1859 "Twin Sisters" sailed into Coquille River and thus opened for all inland produce and resources.
  • 1873 George Bennett with sons Joseph and George A., and Mr. Sealy, come from Bandon, Ireland.
  • 1874 Town's first name of Averill is changed to Bandon.
  • 1876 Joseph Williams and 3 sons arrived from Bandon, Ireland the election has 15 voters.
  • 1877 Post Office is established.
  • 1880 Cheese-making began and Congress appropriated money for the jetty.
  • 1883 First sawmill, schoolhouse, and Catholic Church.
  • 1884 Army Corps of Engineers begin jetty construction.
  • 1886 School District #54 established.
  • 1888 First ocean-going schooner to be built in Bandon is completed.
  • 1890 Census shows a population of 219.
  • 1891 City of Bandon is incorporated February 18, 1891.
  • 1893 Woolen Mill established.
  • 1896 Bandon Lighthouse built.
  • 1897-98 Jetty constructed on Coquille River.
  • 1900 Census shows a population of 645.
  • 1910 Population reaches 1,803 as town becomes a primary tourist attraction on the Oregon coast.
  • 1912 Bandon has developed as a principle port between San Francisco and Portland...300 vessels visit during the year.
  • 1914 Fire destroys the waterfront business district.
  • 1921 Bandon Electric Company was established.
  • Early 1930's First cranberry cooperative formed by local growers.
  • 1936 The Great Fire of 1936.
  • 1936-46 Town begins to rebuild, areas west of the highway and the downtown area were rebuilt.
  • 1947 First Bandon Cranberry Festival.
  • 1950's City's steady growth continues.
  • 1962 Bandon airport dedicated.
  • 1970's Business District moves to south of town along the highway.
  • 1970 Wastewater Treatment Plant was built.
  • 1970 Current Bandon City Hall was dedicated.
  • 1974 Bandon High School burns
  • 1980's Old Town area is re-developed, new boat basin and shopping in East Bandon constructed
  • 1980 Current Water Plant was established.
  • 1981 The current Bandon City Charter was adopted.
  • 1989 Population is now 2535.
  • Early 1990's Forest products industry still continues. Cranberries, fishing, cheese-making and tourism are major industries.
  • 1991 City Centennial Celebration
  • 1993 Wastewater Treatment Plant upgrade dedication.
  • 1996 Centennial celebration of the Lighthouse held.
  • 2000 Population is now 2,833.
  • 2004 Water Treatment Plant upgraded
  • 2006 Open Streets within the City were all paved
  • 2007 Hwy 101 south of 13th St was widened to include a left center turn lane
  • 2008 New Clarifier at at the Water Treatment Plant built